Sunday, January 23, 2011

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Week 3

I am taking part in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge.

This week (or rather, today) I read After Homeschool by Tamra B. Orr

This book looks at 15 grown homeschoolers. It talks about what they thought of homeschooling, what/where they are right now, what they plan to do with their futures. It follows many homeschooling styles, religious and secular. There's even an essay from the author's daughter.

I thought it was a great "sigh of relief" kind of read. As a new homeschooler I'm faced with too frequent doubts of if I'm doing the right thing. How is Brianna going to grow up. Is she going to be able to function in the real world without that all important piece of paper (a high school diploma). 

This book showed many children who grew up to graduate from homeschool and go on to college, or not. But not because they couldn't, but because they already carved a place in happiness for themselves or because they wanted something different in life than a degree.


It showed still-teens who were learning their place in the world. Traveling and learning still. One who said "my education will only be finished when I die." 


This is what I hope for for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment