Wednesday, February 3, 2016

No Technology Day Results

It was slightly strange writing down my notes for the day on paper instead of directly into my blog editor.

The experiment went better than I figured it would. I was expecting lots of whining, especially from the 2 yr old who doesn't "get" it. My kids don't have a lot of computer time as is, but the TV is on all day for background noise.

End results:

Joshua: He seemed pretty unaffected by the lack of TV. He definitely wanted out of the living room or for people to come play with him more often than when he had the TV for distraction, but that's not really a bad thing.

Olivia: She had a wee bit of a meltdown near bedtime about wanting to watch a movie with Brianna, but otherwise did well. She was bored and digging through the school room and decided to pick up the recorder and ask to be taught how to play.

Brianna: We had Brianna turn off her cell phone so she wouldn't be tempted to cheat and she agreed it was a good idea. She jokingly whined about not being able to play on Facebook, but otherwise seemed unaffected by it. She even picked up a book by her own choice in the middle of the day to read.

Myself: I kept my phone turned on (I am the emergency contact for a few kids' schools) and on me (so my step-counter would still work). I did a quick lock screen check 4 times to verify that no one had called (it was on silent to help prevent me from wanting to check it), but otherwise did ok. It was definitely a challenge to not check on my business and various homeschool or craft groups. I did, however, get a whole book read and half the marking done (that I had been ignoring since New Years)

Lee: he managed to be electronics free until about 7pm then said F-it and watched TV lol I actually assumed he'd give up way before, but he surprised me!

Mom: Since mom lives with us, the kids informed her that Grandma had to take part too! Outside of texting her boss (needed), she played along too, sorting my grandmother's pictures.

All in all it was a decent day. The kids found non-electronic things to do and I got more cleaning done than I normally do lol

No comments:

Post a Comment